All docks are not suitable for all boats! Assuming you currently have the right boat for you and your family, do you also have the most suitable slip/dock/berth? If not, this is possibly the best time to negotiate, a better more suitable slip for your boat, and re-locate.
The COVID-19 pandemic has also caused many changes in marinas and boating in general this year. This has resulted in some boaters giving up on boating for this season, leaving some empty slips, docks, berths at previously full harbors.
If this turns out to be the case at your marina, and you see empty slips, maybe one of them would be a more ideal location for you to relocate to.
- First, inquire at the marina office, to see if they have any empty spots and, if there are lots of them, get a list.
- Second, walk the docks to size up your choices to be more ideal than your present spot. Shorten the list.
- Third, on a typical day of wind and current, test out docking your boat in each spot on your shortened list. Also consider and rate the approach, turning space, recovery space, dock height, state of dock repair, your preferred side to tie on and the walking distance to washrooms and your vehicle.
- Ask your family for their opinions of each spot, like are the potential neighbors; teetotalers vs partyers, small kids vs seniors, plus sun and/or wind into the cockpit, etc.
- Which spot has less road noise, dust, annoying neighbors, seagulls, dogs and geese? What about smokers nearby?
- Which spot has less ground swell from boat and commercial traffic?
Please comment below what other features, you consider important in selecting a more ideal boat dock.
You may wish to consider dock products that can make your dock even more suitable to your boating lifestyle. Would any of the following make things easier for you? A dock ladder, a dock step, side bumpers, corner bumpers, post bumpers, piling caps, dock floats, dock box, additional cleats, extra lines, dock lighting etc.
Assess all the dock-related things that are important for you for your boat docking and for your family, to make boating that much easier and more fun.
Docking Skills Upgrade
Now may also be the time to take your docking skills to the next level, so that you can maneuver in and out of your (present or re-located) slip with ease.
If you experience any yelling, swearing, jumping, boat hooks, bionics, dock helpers, guesswork or embarrassment, now is definitely the time to look at some new docking lessons.Prevent Crunchitis
Take the fear out of your docking and un-docking!
Go to www.PowerBoatDocking.com and pick the lesson for your drive system. Then, you’ll be able to download an invisible boat docking instructor, upgrade your skills and impress your fellow boaters. They will wonder, how you managed to become such a pro.
- Just one tip learned from our lesson could make all the difference to your docking challenges.
- Download the detailed step-by-step docking lesson for your drive system today.
- Your invisible docking instructor will be available in your lesson whenever you need him.
- Surprise your boating friends when you dock like a pro!
TO GET STARTED.